Well the weather outside is going to be frightful from Christmas day on, is what we’re hearing where I live. Snowstorms, blizzards, more snow and probably some nasty cold weather following it. What am I doing to prepare for it? Looking up yummy NA hot chocolate drink recipes! Thought I’d share a few for any fellow hot chocolate lovers.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 2 – 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- Pour the milk into a medium-sized sauce pan and set over medium-low heat. Whisk in the chocolate, maple syrup, and spices. Continue whisking occasionally until milk is hot and steamy.
- Meanwhile, whisk the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Pour steaming hot chocolate into mugs, add a dollop of whipped cream and a cinnamon stick, and finish with a pinch of chili powder.
- Note: This recipe makes for a very chocolaty drink, dilute with more milk if it’s too much. It’s also pretty easy on the sweet stuff, so add a few more glugs of maple syrup for a sweeter drink.
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
(The pictures on her site make it look even more delicious! – http://www.eatliverun.com/peanut-butter-hot-chocolate/)
1 cup milk
1 T peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 T sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Whisk together milk, cocoa powder, vanilla and sugar in a small pot on the stove. Bring to a simmer and then add the peanut butter, stirring well to get rid of any clumps.
Pour into your favorite mug and serve with whipped cream and salted peanuts!
- 1/2 gallon whole milk (8 cups)
- 2 (4-oz.) pkgs Ghiridelli white chocolate baking bars, broken up into small pieces
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or starlight candies
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- whipped cream for serving (I use Reddi-Whip)
- more crushed candy canes for garnish
- Add the milk, broken up white chocolate, crushed candy canes, and vanilla to a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on HIGH for 1.5 hours (stirring every 15 minutes).
- Serve topped with whipped cream and topped with crushed candy canes for garnish.